Academic Year 2018/2019
Summer Term 1
Summer 1 was a short half term but we managed to pack in lots of exciting activities for our “Eastern Spice” topic.
The children started with a special day, tasting different Indian foods and smelling different spices. They had a go at Bollywood dancing and tried on a sari. They also looked at the Paisley design and created their own kite.
Our English work was based on the book Grandpa Chatterji. We wrote character sketches, an alliterative poem about snakes, instructions for pooris and described a fairground scene.
In Art with explored different methods of printing. Creating our own printing block using string, making a reverse print using foam, using natural and man-made materials to print with and had a go at corrugated quilling.
Spring Term 2
During last half term’s “Home and Away” topic, we have been busy using maps and atlases to locate countries in the UK and Europe and have identified their capitals. We have learnt about the main hills and mountains in the UK and Europe as well as identifying the major rivers and seas. We have also looked at famous landmarks and learnt about the Euro.
Our science topic has been plants and we have learnt about the main parts of a plant and their function, carried out investigations about the transportation of water within plants and have looked at the plant lifecycle. As our art focus has been drawing, we have experimented with different grades of pencil and have practised shading techniques. We have then tried these out by sketching different flowers.
Our English work has mainly been based on the book “Camille and the sunflowers”, a story about Van Gogh and we have also recreated his sunflowers painting. We have briefly looked at Picasso and produced a cubist style still life and portrait painting using chalk and oil pastels.
What a busy half term!
Spring Term 1
Spring Term - Stones N Bones.
We've been active in Class 3 over the first part of the Spring Term!
- As an introduction to our topic - Stones N Bones, we dissected some (pretend!) Stone Age poo.
- We did cave paintings under the tables.
- We made Stone Age hand print paintings using spray bottles of paint.
- We made our own Stone Age paint using charcoal and we painted with it.
- We worked in groups to make models of Stonehenge, using salt dough.
- We worked on our colour mixing skills by painting sunset silhouette pictures.
- We sorted rock samples according to the types of rocks they were and how they were formed.
- We investigated soil permeability.
- We examined real fossils and then made some of our own using salt dough.
- We learnt how to fence with Darren from Fitfence.
- We tried some rhythmic gymnastics using bean bags, balls and hoops.
......and of course we've been doing English and Maths as well!!!
We’ve been busy in Class 3 over the Autumn Term!
- Dancing with Millie - Musical theatre; The Greatest Showman.
- Trying Mayan food as part of our topic about The Ancient Maya.
- As part our topic about Local Geography we went about exploring our local village.
- We worked with Miss Marney (a final year student teacher) and experimented with making and changing sounds
- We made musical instruments as part of our Sound topic.
- As part our topic about Ancient Egypt we took part in an archaeology workshop with Jeffery Andrews.
- Also as part of out Egypt topic we made cartouche bookmarks with our names written in hieroglyphics on, we turned ourselves into Egyptian pharaohs and made mod roc Egyptian funeral masks
- Christmas fun - we baked Christmas treats, had our Christmas dinner and enjoyed our Christmas party.
- We painted some snowy woods pictures inspired by a poem.
- Termly RE day - How are beliefs expressed through the arts. We listened to different music and discussed how it made us feel. Then we put some psalms to music.